Tuesday

Introduction to Coconut Oil Part I


This is the first part of a series I will be sharing about the benefits of coconut oil.

I want to introduce you to Coconut oil because it has gotten a bad rap over the years simply because it is a saturated fat! NOT ALL saturated fats are BAD for you! In fact there are several saturated fats that are actually good for you and your body needs some saturated fat!

My main source of information about coconut oil is from Dr Bruce Fife of the Coconut Research Center. Dr Fife has written numerous books on the subject and information from his books is what I will be sharing with you.

As a food, it is nutritious, safe and can be taken daily. It provides energy and nutrition not only by itself but also by promoting the absorption of other foods particularly fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K) and minerals (calcium, magnesium, iron). “The most remarkable property of coconut oil is that while it is a food, it is also an antibiotic, an immuno-enchancer, and a drug that regulates the body’s function and defense mechanisms”.

Yes, Dr Fife said ‘drug’! It is a powerful natural drug that is non-toxic. That not only protects from infectious viruses, bacteria, yeasts, fungi, worms etc., but it can kill them also!

“It makes the body work better, metabolize better, defend better, heal better”. Just like fruit and veggies the coconut was made by God to keep us healthy and heal us when we have health problems.

"The drugstore in a bottle” is how coconut oil is now called in the Philippines where virgin coconut oil has been used for treating every imaginable disease. Dr Fife states that the use of coconut oil by the people of the Philippines is “achieving unbelievably rapid relief and cures.”

Now you must be wondering why you haven’t heard more about this miracle coconut oil and what it does for you. The reason is because of the negative publicity that saturated fats have received which has confused people about the health aspects of coconut oil.

In the mid 1980’s the soybean industry sponsored a multimedia campaign to “educate” the public about the benefits of soybean oil and the dangers of saturated fat and coconut oil.

I can attest to this personally because in the ‘80’s I was a movie theater manager and we used coconut oil for popping our popcorn and the company switched to soybean oil! Little did I know how bad soybean oil is for the body!

Even special interest groups joined in the attack on saturated fats. The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) actually coined the phrase “artery-clogging fat” in reference to coconut oil!

Of course, what has been found since then is that there are many different types of saturated fat and each one has a different effect on the body.

Part II of Introduction to Coconut Oil will cover Coconut Cures by Dr Bruce Fife.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Betty,
Thanks for visiting my site and leaving that coconut link!
Good blog post too. Keep promoting Health! :)

Kristen said...

I never knew anything about Coconut oil...What great info.!!!! Next time I go to the Health food store I'll look for it~ Thanks :)

Jewelry Rockstar said...

I knew about this oil. I use it on my hair and body, but I only use coconut water for inside my body.

Betty said...

Hey jewelry rockstar,

Would love to have your email so I could send you more info.

I will be doing the second part of "Introduction to Coconut Oil" at the end of the month, Coconut Cures.

You can eat or cook with coconut oil and it is just wonderful for your body. It is one of the only saturated fats that doesn't turn to fat in the body and it actually helps cleanse the liver!

Sign up as a follower, right side bar, for the next installment!

Rosebud Collection said...

Great information..have to bookmark this..Thank you for posting this..

Sarah, the Healthy Home Economist said...

Excellent overview! Thanks for posting at Monday Mania! Hope to see you again at future editions!

Christy said...

I love to learn more about the wonders of coconut oil - thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you posted this link on The Healthy Home Economist's Monday Mania. I'd only just discovered her site and now yours. I picked up Dr. Fife's book from the book store that day and finished reading it that night. I am now making the switch to coconut oil. Thank you!